Monday, September 28, 2009

365 days..... and still married

Well it has been 365 days since we officially started our renovations. And I'm proud to report that Tony and I are still happily married. This journey has been full of hopes, dreams, blood, sweat, tears, and a BIG reality check. I'd like to start with mom was right "money doesn't grow on trees". Too bad eh. When we started this project we had a vision with the i dotted and the t's crossed. To bad our dreams relied on contractors. With more delays then I'd like to say out loud and more money then a tree can grow our fantasy of a fully reno'd house by summers end came to a crashing halt. So with a few minor reality checks and Tony and I being our stronger halves we buckled down and came to terms with a revised and prolonged reno plan. The overall plan of attack.... We wait till we can afford it out right. So I guess the christmas dinner will have to wait till next year...... fingers crossed anyway.

What have we learned along the way;
- Every project we started took 100x longer then expected
- Always, always get 3 quotes
- Expect the unexpected
- Friends and family make cheap labour
- Carrying 62 sheets of drywall in the house is heavy
- I have muscles I never knew existed
- Tony and I can get through anything together. Except Amazing Race (He's a terrible navigator) ;)

Without further ado, below is a progression called
"Our labour of love"

The Before











The Demo






Shell





Move In





The Brick Wall





Christmas Status






Drywall







Painting




The Stairs






The Floors









Painting out the doors



The After















So what's left you ask
Door jams, window and door trims, a kitchen, and a front door (Back door is bought and waiting to be installed.)

Thank you to everyone who has been a big help during this past year, we love you all so much and are so greatful to have you in our lives.

xoxo
Christy

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now that I look at all the pictures...man that was a lot of work.

~TN~

Georgopher said...

I love the stairs!!! Your home is coming along beautifully!! Can't wait for you guys to come over tomorrow and see ours.
Lots of love
Albert and Sarah

Anonymous said...

I can't believe how far you guys have come. I don't even recognize some of those first few shots. Don't get down though on not being able to finish right away. That would have been such a big job to have only taken you one year. It looks so great!!! I can't wait to see more of it next week-end :)
Love ya,
Andge xoxox

Anonymous said...

wow!!! once you've seen all the work you guys have put into it, it's hard to remember what is was like before! thanks for the look back....
congratulations, this house truly is a 'home'.

i love you!!
sarah xoxox

Mary said...

Christy, your house looks absolutely amazing.

Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Just fantastic I love your home! I would really love to see it!

glad everything has come together and everyone is in one piece!

xo
Christine

Followers