Monday, April 26, 2010

Training Update - RIDE to Conquer Cancer

So I thought some of my readers would be interested in my training progress, and well it has been a few months since my last update. My training is going well and I feel pretty confident to say "on track". I have taken it on the road since my last update so that means no more spinning classes. But what a difference between spin classes and actual road riding. My first ride of the season felt so raw... I was actually moving, I felt bumps... I turned the handle bars.... and of course there may have been a wipe out. All is good though, I have come along way since my first ride of the season.

For the last 2 months I have been riding on and off to work (35km round trip & weather permitted). For those of you that are not familiar with the beaches every street between Queen St. and Kingston Rd. are all varying different degrees of a ginormous hill. I have yet to make it all the way up, however I feel like today is the day that I will accomplish this hurdle.

On Easter weekend I took my bike up to my moms in the Kawarthas and biked for almost 2 hrs. I'm thinking it was probably about 25km. It was mostly flat roads with a few big hills'. Most recently (this past weekend) my team and I did a 50km ride in Richmond Hill. I have a new respect for the words "50km"... holy crap it's far. So here I'm thinking 50km is like riding my bike to Ajax... I'm totally ready for that.... what a reality check. It's more like to Ajax and back again. lol

The road just seems to go on forever and ever, just as we would get to the top of the hill there was another one and, another one, and another... are you getting the picture yet? Try being the one doing the ride. I swear there was never more then 10 feet of a straight away. I have to admit most of our team was struggling a little, but we did it! And I figure if I tackled all those hills then surely I can tackle the one in the beach.... so stay tooned.

Walking away from our ride this past weekend (and we did walk away.. in one piece) we learned, we need more hill training, and longer rides in general. We also learned we are stronger together.. whether it's belting out "your the inspiration" by Chicago to mom as she came up to the halfway mark, or closing in on the finish line singing "we are the champions". We keep together, pushed, encouraged and lifted each others spirits the whole way. And I will remember what we achieved that day... STRENGTH.

Strength as individuals, strength in numbers, and strength as a family.

Anyone up for a RIDE this weekend?

3 comments:

Mary said...

Amazing, Christy.

I'm excited to hear if you made it up the hill at the beach!

Congratulations to you and your family and good luck with the hill training.

GO CHRISTY GO!!

Christy Lynn said...

I'm happy to report I did make it up the hill :)
And have every time after. I have so much more confidence, I can't believe how much I physced myself out before. It really just took a little belief in myself.

thanks for you amazing support, you really one of a kind Mary. xo

luna pie said...

AWESOME Christy! I am so proud of you, and your legs must be hard as rocks :)

It's been a while since I have pedaled my way up any hill, but I do remember the strange animal-esque noises that came out of my mouth as I grunted up to the top!

I miss you SSSSSSSOoooooooooooooooooooooo much and look forward to seeing you this summer.

Can you email me your phone number, I wanna call you!

XOXOX!!

Followers