Friday, December 23, 2011

A Negative

Yes that is my blood type as I had learned during the early stages of my pregnancy (remember the "A minus" story), it is also known as "Rh Factor in Pregnancy".

What does that means?
A woman is at risk when she has a negative Rh factor and her partner has a positive Rh factor. This combination can produce a child who is Rh positive. While the mother's and baby's blood systems are separate there are times when the blood from the baby can enter into the mother's system. This can cause the mother to create antibodies against the Rh factor, thus treating an Rh positive baby like an intruder in her body. If this happens the mother is said to be sensitized.

A sensitized mother's body will make antibodies. These antibodies will then attack an Rh positive baby's blood, causing it to breaking down the red blood cells of the baby and anemia will develop...

I do want to say that I have NO concerns or stress, we live in a time where this can all be prevented, hence the shot I received at 28 wk., and the steps that can be taken proceeding the birth. While it is important to have the knowledge, it is also just as important to not over react.

With that said, I wanted to share with you the story of receiving "The Shot".

First I had to pick up the shot at St. Michaels Hospital, where they handed me a plastic Biohazard bag that made be feel like I was a walking contamination to society.
Two days later I went into the Midwifery Clinic for my regular appointment where I met our back-up mid wife Linda and for her to administer this said shot. For those that are or have been pregnant, you are all quite familiar with the amount of blood work that goes along with it. So I just assumed that she would give me the shot in my arm, but on her recommendation she advised the ass muscle as the prime real estate for both comfort and pain. Well, didn't I proceed to turn on all fours on a bed, where she then offered I might be comfortable lying on my side. And here is my reply "Oh, I just automatically assumed it would be done doggy style position". Didn't all 3 of us burst into the hardest laughter ever. Thank god she wasn't mortified and said I was a funny girl. I don't think she will look at Tony and I quite the same.

I can only imagine what else will come out of my mouth at this point, but at least it results in laughter.

Lots of Love,
Christy-Lynn

No comments:

Followers