Tuesday, January 5, 2010

What a START!

So this idea of riding 200 km in 2 days started off with a conversation between mother and daughters well over a year ago, and with mom's 50th birthday just around the corner this was our motivator. We all went out and got bikes, mom bought hers first which meant - she means business. (There is no way I'm about to let my almost 50 year old mother ride 200 km without me) So off I went to get a bike. Her Name was "Pearl". And of course the chain reaction of that was... Nikki got a bike. So we all have bikes and we are ready to train. Well that was until..... Pearl got stolen... on her first ride. Sad but true. Thankfully my family came in to save the day and I now have another bike. His name is "Dalton" and he will bring me to the finish line with my team.

So we had our first team ride on the Thanksgiving holiday where I think we all surprised each other, we started from my house and rode down to the boardwalk and straight to pretty much Etobicoke and home again. I'm not gonna lie I kinda patted my own back on that. Did I mention we lost 2 out of 5 of our riders on the way back. opps

Shortly after that on Nov 1st mom and I took a ride in the country. I never thought how relaxing and breathtaking it would be to ride your bike in the country. Well.. lets be honest for the most part it's all that, however, there are parts that are stressful and tense. You know like when the Mack Trucks are trying to pass you and if feels like they purposely hug the shoulder.

For the past 2 months I lost focus, I was running here and there, and did a twice a week for 5 week pilates class, but I really felt like I was not dong enough. Lets be honest 200 km in 2 day is gonna take more training over the winter then pilates and occasional running.

After our New Years party where I made people pay $10 for not following our theme of "Ugly Sweaters" and went online to enter the donation - somewhere along the process I got motivated. I saw that $130 marker on my page and I had a proud moment. I took a little time to put together my personal page, added my friends and family to my contact list and sent out my first email looking for donations.

All of a sudden it hit me, this is real. In June 2010 (this year) I will have to ride 200 km and I am nowhere near being ready. On Sunday I went online to find a Spinning class that I could potentially hit on my way home and.. I DID. Monday was my first day of spinning, and my "SIT' bones are so sore I can't even describe it without being vulgar. My next session is Thursday and I will do another on Saturday. I am on roll and I am feeling awake.

Since Sunday when I sent my first email requesting donations I have gone and extended the request to co-workers and I am happy to report and thanks to all of you thus far I have raised $330.

I am overwhelmed with gratitude as I was watching the donations roll in, and I have a couple of times had to hold back tears of joy and admiration I have for all of you helping me "Make a Difference".

Thank you from the bottom of my heart
Christy

2 comments:

luna pie said...

Amazing Christy - I am so proud of you for doing this! What a commitment! It certainly is a good cause, and I will be happy to contribute to it!

YOU GOOO GIRL!!!

Love,
Sarah

Anonymous said...

You the women girl and keep it all up. Soooooo worth it for so many and for you!
Andge xoxoxo

Followers